I should be relieved that my life is settling down.
I should be happy to be off the legal roller coaster that was our battle to relocate to the US.
I should be proud that I have a great job and what looks like the "perfect life" from the outside.
I should be counting my blessings that my husband's biggest fault is that he wants to spend every moment with me to the point of suffocation.
I should be grateful that I am alive today despite all the starving and purging and abuse I put my body through.
I could go on. There are so many "shoulds" in life, yet I don't identify with any of them. I have been so accustomed to drama drama drama that when things start to run smoother, it scares me. I wonder what to do with myself. I fear being "normal". Normal to me is the equivalent of not being special and not standing out. I've always been afraid of blending in and being forgotten. For the majority of my life, I stood out by being the thinnest. The anorexic. The cutter.
Without those things who am I? Why does it scare me so much to be just like everyone else - a mom, a wife, an employee, a normal person. When things start going okay, I find a way to bring them crashing down around me again. I am just becoming conscious of that fact now, but looking back on my life I can see that this same thing has happened to me before. This wouldn't be my first time caught in the cycle.
Whether it be cutting, starving or maybe no I'm exploring something new - this thing with the other guy, A. We went for coffee, we still text. We are still toeing the same line as a couple of weeks ago. I don't want to rip my world apart. I really don't... but there is a void that still needs to be filled in my life. Despite all the therapy I've had and the fact that I've gained the ED weight back (much to my dismay) the underlying problems are still there. Strong as ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment