Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm Staying!

It feels like something has shifted within me. Some clarity has been shown to me and I have come to a decision. I am going to stay until my original discharge date of October 8th. A full 3 weeks. I know I will not be anywhere near 'recovered' at that point but the focus of this program is acute treatment for medically compromised people with the goal being medical stability (not much focus on psychological aspect of treatment). In the grand scheme of things, 3 weeks is not that long (that's what I keep telling myself, lol). A couple things happened to brought me to my decision:

1) During one of our post-meal groups we played Taboo. It was awesome and everyone had so much fun. At one point we all burst into laughter at something silly and at that same moment I felt something I haven't really felt before: I felt accepted. It took me by surprise to find tears in my eyes. I feel like I am "part of something", as cheesy as that sounds. The girls in here "get" me and the staff is so supportive even if they do things that make you mad a lot of the time.

2) A co-worker came by to visit. I was horrified at first because of the big sign outside the ward that says "Eating Disorders Unit". When I went on leave from work I didn't tell them why I was going - only that it was for medical reasons. I thought she would be shocked or surprised but she wasn't. She told me that people are more perceptive than we think and everyone kind of figured out the reason for my medical leave but everyone is wishing me well and there is no judgment on their part, just genuine concern. She brought a HUGE gift basket filled with books, body lotions and gels, a hand-embroidered pillow that says "get well soon, we miss you", slippers, a necklace and more stuff. The encouragement and love shown to me from my co-workers was so touching. They want so much for me to recover.

I will stick it out. I will take the risk and face the fears and demons in me. I owe it to myself, to Zach and to the people who are supporting me to at see this program through all the way. I don't want to regret anything and it would be more likely that I would regret LEAVING than I would regret STAYING. I am going to try something different now. Surprise the staff here, surprise myself. I hope I don't feel differently later on but my decision at this moment seems crystal clear.

7 comments:

  1. This made me so happy!! I hope you decide to stay until you are discharged, however long that is. Signing yourself out AMA can have future repercussions and can make getting treatment later on harder.

    I was in IP for 5 weeks and wasn't nearly as compromised as you are. Let them do their job. Let them help you. Things get clearer as you get more medically stable and ge tmore nutrition in you.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, and now I have tears in my eyes! I'm SO happy you've made this decision, T -- and I'm so happy to hear about those two things that helped you make it. I'm happy that you've found a place where you feel understood and accepted... belonging is SO important to each of us, but so many times we get used to being without that feeling and we don't even really realize how much we need it.... and I'm so happy your co-workers have reached out, too. They've seen you get to this point, and it's wonderful that they are able to reach out and let you know how much they care and want you to get better!

    As Sophie says -- things get clearer the healthier you get. The healthier your body is the more hope I have for your mind and heart. I know you feel like you're a long way from recovery, and it's good that you're able to see that within yourself... but I think you're a lot closer than you were two weeks ago.

    So many people love you, T -- and Zach will absolutely be better off seeing you trying to get help, no matter how long it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Breathes a deep sigh of relief*

    and then *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so proud of you honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm incredibly proud of you :)

    I love you very much <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the right decision and I know it wasn't necessarily an easy one for you. You're in my thoughts. xoxo

    ReplyDelete