Friday, July 10, 2009

Kristina, new T

My family doctor is a sweet person, very softspoken and gentle, a great person overall but a crappy doctor - at least where ED's are concerned. It's tough for me to think about switching family doctors because I've seen him since I was 8 or 9 so there is a lot of "history" between us. Maybe I cling to the past too much and maybe I'm too loyal a person... Anyways, I am supposed to see him weekly for medical monitoring but I haven't been because when I'm there all we do is chat about how things are going. He doesn't do blood pressure checks or weight or any of that stuff you'd expect. When I was getting all those leg and foot cramps - terrible paralyzing cramps - early this year, he gave me Potassium supplements when really according to the EDU doctor I see as well, I should be taking Magnesium supplements for that. Since I started on the Mg supplements things have gotten much better.

I have started seeing a new therapist as of yesterday (in addition to the one I've seen for 8 years, when I was in Children's Hospital). The only reason is because Barbara (old T) is going away for a month or so and the ED group is on a break until October so I feel like I'm at loose ends. I need my appointments in order to keep life going. Without these set points in time I would feel like I was floating and floundering. I need my identity as a "sick person" and in some ways the constant appointments are becoming a part of my routine life which is probably not very healthy for my head. The new T, Kristina, thinks that I will be in IP by August but I don't think so. I'm not THAT much of a medical priority! lol. I also hope that it's not that soon because I need more time to mentally prepare - and to lose more weight for insurance and as a buffer since I know in IP you have to gain weight.

I'm so excited about the movie coming out about baking called "Julie and Julia".

Julia Child (Meryl Streep) and Julie Powell (Amy Adams) are featured in writer-director Nora Ephron's adaptation of two bestselling memoirs: Powell's Julie & Julia and My Life in France, by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme. Based on two true stories, Julie & Julia intertwines the lives of two women who, though separated by time and space, are both at loose ends...until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible.

Given that I have a baking blog and am absolutely obsessed with food-related anything, this is the perfect movie for me. I only wish it were out in time for my birthday which is July 21! It's only coming out August 7th.

I just realized that I haven't been blogging about Zach, my son. The sad thing is that ever since I started working full time (July 2008) I don't see him very much.

Our weekly schedule:
M-F he is at daycare until 5:30 then I play with him a bit, give him dinner and a bath then it's bedtime. Sat-Sun he spends the morning with his dad then comes back in the afternoon for a nap. The only time we have is after the nap before bedtime.

He's growing so much and learning so much. Some things he says amaze me and I wonder, 'how do you know that!?" We're currently going through a bit of a tough time with discipline. At daycare when he's told not do something he does it more and more. I feel like I've done something wrong in raising him but I don't know what to do. I am very firm and I strongly believe in discipline. I will not and have not ever spoiled him and this adds to my confusion about where this behavior is coming from. I do the "time-out" thing with him and always follow through with consequences when I say I will. Here's the 'aww' factor... He always asks for a hug after he says sorry, which melts my heart every time. He is such an affectionate little boy. I don't know how one minute he can be on my last nerve and the next minute I want to smother him in kisses and hugs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the magnesium has been helping you... I was reading about that sometime ago and mg deficiency can actually cause a lot of strange symptoms. Anyhow, it's good you're feeling better after taking it. I have to tell you Tianne, I'm now somewhat excited about that movie too... I was reading your description of it and it sounded alright, but then I had to look at your baking blog, OMG you are AMAZING! So now, I kind of want to go bake, lol. Except it's almost 10:30p and I have a presentation to finish making for tomorrow :( I'm one of those people who doesn't really like to cook and I look at it as a total chore because it's work, it makes a mess and half the time I'm not that hungry anyway, so I could spoil my dinner with some crackers or whatever. However, I like to bake things to try to make them look pretty (the "artist" in me, perhaps). I'll all for trying to decorate a cake with simple decorations that I won't mess up and trying to make pretty food. So, I guess you could say that I don't like cooking, but I do like to bake. Anyway, you have really really inspired me! Seriously, your pictures and recipes are AMAZING! (I hope you don't mind that I will totally have to steal some recipes from you!!) Wow. Well, I have to get back to making a presentation on peptide synthesis (they are going to butcher me tomorrow because none of them think this is important unless I can mass produce peptide, and I work at a small scale since our equipment isn't so great). I will try to follow your blog here.. I'm also thinking of trying to write again myself, I think it would help me to sort out my thoughts and maybe be more organized. I don't know, but sometimes I miss it (mostly miss you and the other people who used to write). I will let you know as soon as I do write somewhere :) Take care, Kris

    ReplyDelete