Friday, July 17, 2009

Post-appointment

Edema sucks. My body is extremely prone to water shifts because of the constant dehydration that I subject it to, so edema has been plaguing me the past few days. My ankles are visibly swollen. Normally I can wrap my thumb and middle finger around my ankle and have some overlap but now I can't even touch thumb to finger when I try. The weather being hot has made it 10x worse too since people under normal circumstances tend to retain more water in the heat (so I'm told).

I had my dreaded doctor's appointment at the hospital yesterday and she gave me a prescription to help with this. She says it has something to do with hormone imbalances too from b/p. Good news is that I'm still "sick enough" to be on the IP list. She seemed shocked and confused that I might even think that I am not sick enough. I guess the ED mind fucks up your clarity and makes things seem all screwy. She also got mad at me because I haven't been going weekly to do my bloodwork. I felt like a child being tsk-tsk-ed at. I guess I'll have to make more of an effort, especially with these new water-pills. A possible side effect of the meds is that they affect your potassium. Shit. I've had enough potassium problems in the past. i JUST got the paralyzingly painful leg cramp thing under control, I really really hope this doesn't mess things up.

I met a girl in the waiting room who scared the daylights out of me. She is missing two teeth in the front because of osteoporosis and acid from purging. She's "not all there" if you know what I mean. She knows it too and says that she might not make sense sometimes because she's lost a lot of brain cells from the ED. Right now she's at a healthy weight but she had to be certified a few times and was in a coma for a little while from it. I don't think I would get to that point. It's scary to see how real it is though. It's not just on TV or in movies, this brings it so much closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment