I'm an accountant / mom / wife from Seattle. Struggling with a long history of ED, BPD and SI.
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
IUI #1
So, we've been TTC for over a year. This means that we are actually classified as having fertility issues. I never in a million years thought I would be in this boat. I got pregnant with my son when I was on the pill for goodness sake!
Anyways, I went for my first IUI (Intra Uterine Insemination) today. The clinic has suggested going this route first (before using drugs or even thinking about IVF) as it is the most non-invasive method but gets the sperm closer to the egg and therefore, increases your chances. It's not overly expensive either. $300 per cycle. Yeah, that seems expensive but compared to $12,000 for one round of IVF, it's just pennies!
I'm surprised that the clinic isn't giving me Clomid or using a trigger shot before the IUI to better time it. They aren't even doing ultrasound monitoring (which is another $100 and I could choose to do but they said it doesn't really increase my odds). Most other women I've talked to are using one or more of these methods in addition to the IUI.
The IUI was nothing. No pain or discomfort. After having one baby and having people poke around down there so much, you get immune to it and the embarrassment factor goes away, lol.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment