Thursday, April 28, 2011

Potluck

We have a potluck today at work.

My anxiety is rising rapidly. No matter what I do I end up drawing attention to myself.
1) Don't go - everyone will wonder where I am and why I'm not going. They will also think I'm antisocial.
2) Go and don't eat - this is just plain WEIRD and will be the most awkward
3) Go and pretend to eat, push food around my plate - people always look at what I am eating/not eating. I think it's just part of ED territory. People are curious and pretend to look while they are actually looking.

I wish I had an Ativan right now.

4 comments:

  1. OR #4, go and try to eat a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I never thought of that one! Lolm thx bananas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I dont know how to say this without sounding rude, because I truly don't mean it rudely, but here it is: Nobody is paying as much attention to you as you think they are.

    Does that make sense? What I mean is, other people are thinking about their food, their work, their lives, ect. They might notice for a moment if you aren't eating, or mention it in passing, but trust me, they are not thinking about it nearly as much as you think they are.
    I used to be more obsessed about how I looked when I went out in public. If I has a zit, I though that everyone I saw on the street would think "oh, look at that gross zit! How can she go out like that?". But then I realized (or someone told me, I dont remember) that they werent thinking about me at all, they were thinking about themselves and their lives and where they were going, ect.

    Of course, if you have a really close relationship with you co-workers, they might be more aware and concerned about your behavior. The same is likely true if your behavior is way outside the norm, like if you go on a wild binge, or eat two carrots and then burst into tears. But if you take a small serving and eat it calmly (even if you are freaking out on the inside), or if you choose not to eat and just join in the conversation, I dont think anyone will think too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa is totally right...

    ReplyDelete