The down side of all this is that my mom refuses to speak to me. She feels that I'm rejecting her because I got so upset about the whole thing. She thinks now the clinic will look at her negatively for asking for the info and she's embarassed about facing them in the future (she goes to the same dr. office as me). For my mom, it's all about appearances and the public's opinion of her. We could be screaming at each other in the car but the moment we get to our destination and there are other people around, it's all rosy and wonderful. The image of a picture perfect family. It drives me nuts. I wish we could just BE REAL and be allowed to be who we are - human.
I don't really have anything else constructive or important to say today. Just an observation and because I'm in a rambling mood.

Everything, including food, has its trends. A few years ago it was all about healthy eating, now it's moving into organic foods and then there's also this wave of nostalgic, high calorie/fat, "Fuck the health food" mindset that seems to glorify artery clogging foods all for the sake of 'whatever tastes good'. This new KFC Double Down sandwich is the perfect example. Instead of a bun it has 2 chicken patties which sandwich bacon and cheese in the middle. First of all, EW!!! Can you imagine even just holding this sandwich with its 2 deep fried chicken patties? Grease galore. Maybe we're going back to the Atkins days of no carbs, lol.

The other trend I cannot understand is BACON. Bacon in desserts and chocolate chip bacon cookies and bacon smores to name a few. My feeling is that people are rebelling against the healthy eating movement and embracing the return of FAT.
Ugh, I'm really sorry about your mom. My dad was exactly the same way--everything was about appearances and him looking good. I'm glad your dr did take the time to talk with you about this and that he's going to address it.
ReplyDeleteAnd please don't let your mom get to you. You did the right thing and if people are going to look down on her then she probably should've thought of that before she called and asked for confidential information about you. That's not your fault.
And I really don't get the whole bacon trend either. I mean fine if you want to eat lots of fat but don't the smores have enough of it without the bacon? Don't you want to enjoy your desserts and not feel like vomiting when eating them? Maybe it's just because I've never liked bacon. I don't know...
You know, just the other day I was talking about chocolate chip cookies with bacon with my labmates. Disgusting! Interestingly enough, the entire lab (including two very tall men who are fairly big eaters) agree. "Don't mess with something good" was the general consensus. It's nice to know that even people who love to eat agree on this one.
ReplyDeleteAs for the doctor, I'm glad it got sorted out. Your mother can just claim it was some type of misunderstanding if they bring it up to her -- she need not feel embarrassed at the doctor, I would think she'd be embarrassed to tell you though. Maybe whoever told her this stuff will have to do some on-the-job training or something as a punishment. I'd be pissed off too! In fact, my bank, my BANK, did that to me once. I had an account with my mother also listed on it, and they refused to give my info about my own account (I had the pin etc.) and they gave it to her. I was beyond pissed, so I totally understand where you would be!
Anyway, I hope you're doing well and enjoying your time alone with Zach :)