I don't get it. Why do people take the time and effort to leave negative and mean comments like this one (left on my livejournal account) in response to my previous post:
"the 25 year olds i know are finishing their doctorate degrees, beginning to support their mothers and fathers financially, and are contemplating purchasing a second home."
It just makes me mad. I sometimes wonder. Are they trying to be helpful or just spiteful? Whatever happened to "constructive" criticism or "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."
If it makes you feel any better, I don't know any 25 year olds like that. Buying their second home? As if! Supporting their parents? Maybe that person was thinking about 50 year olds.
ReplyDeletePlease, that is such a load of crap. Don't buy it. You are doing great, considering what you have been through. I'm 31 and have only completed one college class. My husband, who is 33, is still in school and we live in an apartment. Yes, we are a little behind, and if anyone wants to judge us then be my guest. But we love eachother, our children are happy and smart, we have fun together and generally try to enjoy life. You can't always measure your life through the world's eyes. Only worry about it if it is truly something that bothers YOU. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
BTW you are the most talented cake maker I have ever "met". :)
Uh, 25 year old freaks! I have never heard of a 25 year old that could do ALL that. Maybe they were trust fund babies. I don't know. I don't think that person set out to be helpful. Well, maybe give you a dose of 'their' reality perhaps. Still, they didn't even give a very good example of what is REALITY!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure some people are just trolling to be mean. Some other people might just be frustrated by EDs and want to "shock" you or shake you out of it. Even I want to do that a lot of the time, and I struggle with ED stuff too. That's just how frustrating EDs are! So hard to watch the person suffering and hearing the cruel voices come out through their mouths, as if they're THEIR real thoughts, or even worse, the truth.
I don't know if I'm making sense.
When I was 25, I was unemployed.
I had just lost my first post-grad job. I was borrowing tons of money from my parents. I certainly didn't have it together.
And SHIT GIRL! Your cake making skillllllls are amazing! You should take advantage of that some day and get some $$ for your talent.
ReplyDeleteWhoever wrote that comment is living in an alternate fucking universe. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteI don't know a single person who, at 25 years old, was looking to buy a second home OR had the financial means to support their parents. In fact, most 25yo I have known couldn't even afford to buy ONE home, haha. And most 25yo don't have parents that even need to be supported, I mean - how old are a 25yo's parents?
Anyone who takes the time to leave a comment like that needs a life. Just ignore that BS. xoxo
hahaha... yeah 25-year old with a doctorate hahaha! Only in Europe could this possibly be true (even then you might have to be young for your class). Here in the states, if everything goes perfect, you can get a PhD by the time you turn 26/27 depending on if you were young in your grade. This also means you were a spectacular student since most are older. Pretty sure MD is even longer. Sooo, either your commenter comes from Europe and only knows a bunch of child prodigy smart people, OR (probably more likely) he/she is a total dumb ass who obviously has no experience with any kind of grad school or college.
ReplyDeleteThese are the kind of people I'd like to beat the shit out of... and probably did at recess as a kid. Sorry if that's why they're on the internet making mean comments now :)
As the comments above say, 25 y/o girls are not supposed to be doing things like buying their second house. They could be working jobs and starting to save cash for their first home (obviously the commenter doesn't live in the lower mainland!!), probably still be having a lot of fun like hanging out with friends and going on weekend road trips. Mostly discovering themselves and what they want from life. However, I do see what the person might have been getting at, and that is something to do with the rewards of being independently self-supporting. Obviously, your life is extremely complicated right now, and while supporting anyone beyond yourself and your son is virtually impossible, it's something to look forward to in the future when you are finally free of your ED. Life is fun and scary and exciting and stressful, and there are limitless possibilities to the path which you choose. And you do have a choice. And I mean that in the most supportive, caring way possible.
ReplyDeleteThis is a WTF moment for me, especially since I recently has the same attack thrown at me on an online forum by a 25 year old who is suppposedly a doctor. Yeah, ok. Live YOUR life. Obnoxious over acheivers never have fun anyway.
ReplyDeleteThat's just horrible...what a terrible thing for someone to say to you...i'm so sorry that happened.
ReplyDeleteAll i can say is you are sooooo much better than the person with the amount of meaness it took to write that. Be happy you are a kind and loving person, who would n e v e r hurt anyone. You are MY hero(ine!)