My stomach is twisting itself in knots. I have a mediation in 4 hours with a family justice counsellor and my ex regarding child support and special expense payments for Zach. Basically, he hasn't paid me anything since September 2009, not a single penny. This step of going to a counsellor is in order to avoid going to court. If we can't "mediate" it out between us then we'll have to put it in the hands of a judge who will decide what arrears he will have to pay, what portion of the expenses, etc. I really want to avoid going to court because then it's completely out of our hands. Whatever the judge decides is what it will be.
On the other hand, I don't want to feel pressured into coming to an agreement that I am less than happy with and signing it and regretting it later.
I used to be stronger inside but I guess the physical effects of the ED are wearing on me too. I used to approach conflict with gusto and confidence, standing up to people and holding fast to my ground and my belief in myself. Now I feel deflated and insignificant overall which of course impairs my ability to stand up for myself.
I just want today to be over :(
Arrgh I hated custody court with my ex! Even hearing my attorney's voice on the phone makes me sick to my stomach!
ReplyDeleteI was so stressed out that i was pressured to give in on certain things that later I wished i hadn't. Make sure to stand up for yourself and don't let emotion get in the way of what is fair (I know it's hard).
Don't settle.. You'll definitely regret it. I think courts are pretty good at making men pay, so I'd try not to have so much anxiety about that. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck. How did it go?
ReplyDeleteI went to court today actually, not because my ex doesn't pay but because he hasn't increased his maintenance in 7 years!!! Stand up for yourself, you are doing this for Zach. Get as much proof as you can on what you spend on him and stand your ground.
ReplyDeleteThey will make him pay.
Don't be afraid to go to court if you have to, it's really not that bad
Renee :o)