Tuesday, January 26, 2016

US Citizenship Day!

Today is the day that I have looked forward to since the day we started our immigration journey back in December 2011! My interview at USCIS / Department of Homeland Security was scheduled at 10:15. This field office is a good 100 miles from our house, plus through rush hour traffic... we left at 7 AM and got there just a little early (9:45 but they wouldn't let me check in til exactly 15 mins before the interview). My husband, son, mom and dad came with me. Sitting in the waiting room was torture. So many people around, anxiety was building and it took all my strength to hold it together. The last thing I wanted was to pass out just before the interview lol. I even ate a granola bar to keep my blood sugar up even though I usually never allow myself to eat anything until after 1pm.

Ugh... they ran late so they only called me at saw me at 10:45. The whole interview only took 30 mins. A really nice Immigration Officer J. Bruce interviewed me. He was friendly and we joked around a little.  He went over every page of my application and asked me to answer pretty much all the questions orally to check my answers against the form. He checked my travel dates outside of the US (you have to have been in the US for more than 50% over the last 3 years). Asked to see passport, DL and green card but none of the other docs I brought. I ACED THE US HISTORY / CIVICS TEST!!! It was my personal goal to get all the questions right. You only need 6 out of 10 correct though. After I passed everything he checked the box on the form that says I am approved for citizenship! The last step left was to go through the oath ceremony (you aren't a citizen yet until you go through that ceremony). I was so glad that they had a same day ceremony at 3:30 so I didn't have to drive down to Seattle again.

The ceremony was 3:30 to 5. It was short and sweet and very well put together. There were 74 immigrants from 37 different countries represented today. They told us that they going to call each country's name and when your country is called, you stand up and remain standing until all the countries are called and everyone is standing. At that point, they would lead us in saying the oath together and then when we sit down again we will all be US Citizens. There were only 2 of us from Canada there today.

I had to turn in my green card before the ceremony as I wouldn't be needing it anymore as a citizen. It was bittersweet surrendering this card. I thought back to the long road we have traveled and the many hoops we jumped through along the way. Back then, 4 years ago when we started this immigration process, the idea of Citizenship was so far away but in reality the time has flown and the day has come to trade this cherished piece of plastic in for something much more permanent!

Finally my journey has come to an end! My wonderful husband got me this gorgeous watch - Rolex 31mm Datejust with Jubilee Bracelet - to celebrate this special day. I love it - a timeless watch for a forever meaningful event.

2 comments: