Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Wedding Recap

It has been exactly 3 weeks since we got married. Everything is going amazingly well! It has been so busy since the wedding that I have not had a chance to update at all. Now with Christmas just 3 days away, time is simply flying! Here is a little summary of the wedding and mini honeymoon afterwards: I was extremely nervous crossing the border. I was afraid that they would somehow know that I had a WA marriage license and was crossing the border to get married to an American citizen. Luckily they just waved me through. I had a couple of hours to get dressed, curl my hair, do my make-up and head to the court house. Our ceremony was at 4:30 on December 1. Besides the marriage commissioner, there were only 4 of us: BB, BB’s best friend, my friend and myself. The past few weeks leading up to this, I knew in my head that it was real and that we were getting married, but in my heart I didn’t 100% BELIEVE it. I was afraid it was a dream that I would suddenly awake from and the happiness would be snatched away from me. However, standing there holding his hands and looking into his eyes as he said his vows – I felt so loved and cherished. I was “in the moment” and filled with love. I am so glad that we did this our own way. Even though we are doing things the unconventional way, it feels right for us. In some ways it is much more romantic this way because our wedding was really and truly for ourselves and no one else. It is a decision we made as the best thing for our future and because we really wanted to get married! Not as a show for friends and family (although we are going to do a “real” wedding next year). This year’s ceremony was all about us and the declaration and commitment to each other. I never thought I would elope, but I guess that’s what we’ve done! The words “elope” has connotations of irresponsibility, spontaneity and superficiality but this could not be farther from the truth in our case. We wore our rings the entire weekend. He surprised me with a beautiful, luxurious stay in a suite at the Hyatt Bellevue with champagne and a lovely dinner. Even though this isn’t our big wedding, it is still incredibly special and we wanted to have a mini-honeymoon all weekend. I feel incredibly blessed to have found the love of my life. I keep; wondering if this is really real. It will take a while to get used to hearing myself referred to as his “wife”. I didn’t know it would be so hard taking off my wedding ring and putting it away in its box. I wish I could wear it and I love seeing his band on his finger. But we can’t give away our secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment