Friday, June 10, 2011

Ana Nostalgia

It pains me to look at the photos of myself at my lowest weights. I miss those bones so much. I know my mind wasn't functioning properly - I could barely concentrate or carry on a conversation - but it sometimes seems like it was worth it. I miss my bones. I miss being able to pick up any piece of clothing in a store - size 0 or 00 or kids sizes - and have it hang on my body. I miss being "different" and "better" and "purer" by virtue of my visible bones. I felt emotionally invincible. Nobody could touch me or hurt me because no matter what, I was thin and that's all that mattered. Now, life is so much messier. Now I have to face some of the feelings that were hidden and numbed out through the side effect of malnutrition.

My weight now is higher than it has been in 3 years. I can barely stand to look at myself in the mirror.
I'm still 15lbs underweight (according to my doc and those stupid ht/wt charts) but I feel like I’m 15lbs overweight instead. The weight that I have gained has yet to distribute itself properly, so I feel like I'm carrying all around my waist.
I don't dare to even try on a pair of jeans right now. It's all flowy, summery dresses and other loose fitting clothing. I hate my body so much.

I've been cutting again. Maladaptive coping mechanisms. I still haven't learned the "healthy way" of doing things. When I'm severly restricting, I don't cut. When I begin to feel again, I start cutting again. The one thing that I am hanging on to to keep my weight from plummeting is my new boyfriend. We only see each other once a week (he lives in WA and I’m in BC) but the time spent together makes me so happy. I told him about the ED and about cutting and he's STILL here. I don't want him to worry about me and I don't want to be lethargic and cranky. I know I need to eat (and keep down) a certain amount otherwise I won't have the energy to "be there" in a relationship.

I still engage in purging every night - it's more a routine than it is a coping mechanism I think. But at least during the day I can keep some food down. The black thoughts tug at me every day. Every hour, every minute, it's a struggle not to give in. But I think that for now at least, I'm doing an ok job of toeing the line.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you!!! This is the most optimistic you've sounded in...well, since I've known you! It sounds like you've found something more important to you than ED: your relationship with your boyfriend. Relish the joy of that - bask in those good feelings rather than trying to numb the painful ones :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does size zero really mean? This time last year, I was a size zero and I also wore that size on and off from 2008 through 2010. And what did it get me? Nothing, and almost destroyed my life.

    I can understand the allure of size zero. I won't say I don't ever feel it myself. But in the end, it means nothing. It means zero - zero life, zero anything. In the end, it is only a number stuck on a piece of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa - thx! U are a huge support to me. And an inspiration. I will def keep in touch for support thx

    Angela - I don't have a t right now- I still get so hung up on sizes etc. I don't know how to stop the body hate... The constant tug of relapsong.

    ReplyDelete